Policies and Guidelines
The WalesGenWeb Project maintains very high standards in page creation, site management, and overall quality of presentation for all associated project pages. The WalesGenWeb Project encourages freedom of expression, national cultural uniqueness and individual creativity by project hosts in the actual design of their pages. Certain elements are required, however, to help maintain the cohesiveness of the project.
- The WorldGenWeb Logo and Name must be present on the WalesGenWeb homepage and all county websites. All WalesGenWeb Project sites share the same alpha-neumonic name and all projects must conform to this standard. The project name is The WalesGenWeb Project. County pages follow this same example: The Montgomeryshire, WalesGenWeb Project. Logos can be obtained on the Image Page.
- County websites must contain a link to the WalesGenWeb website http://www.walesgenweb.com with the official WalesGenWeb Logo button.
- The WalesGenWeb website and the county websites must contain a link to The BritishIslesGenWeb Project website located at http://www.britishislesgenweb.org This logo button may be used, but is not required.
- Active website status: In an effort to maintain high standards for the WalesGenWeb Project all WalesGenWeb County Projects must be kept current. Current means that the website is updated at least once a year. The update may just be a change to the copyright year or correcting broken links. County websites that have not been updated for a period greater than one year may be deemed abandoned and the coordinator may be removed and the county placed up for adoption in accordance with the WorldGenWeb Project Policies.
- Non-Commercial Status: The WalesGenWeb Project is a non-commercial entity. The WalesGenWeb Project is dedicated to the concept of free exchange of public-domain records via the internet. As such we do not charge for the resources available through our pages. We may link to commercial websites however that does not imply that we endorse their services.
- Copyright: The WalesWeb Project encourages the collection and publication of non-copyrighted materials online by hosts. The WalesGenWeb Project will not pay royalties to any organization or institution. Therefore, we stipulate that all materials placed online at any project website be free from copyright infringement.
- The WalesGenWeb Project feels strongly that GENUKI has some of the best material online to assist researchers in Wales. We are working collaboratively with them to provide additional services to researchers that are not currently available through their project setup. It is not the aim of the WalesGenWeb to replicate the resources available from GENUKI. The WalesGenWeb Project functions more as a query resource and family association project rather than as a national resource center. Volunteers for any country or county website within the BritishIslesGenWeb should seek to provide those additional services that GENUKI does not provide. Examples of that include:
- Query Pages
- Mailing Lists
- Lookup Resources
- Family Association Website Links
- County hosts are strongly encouraged to contact and establish a relationship with the corresponding GENUKI county host. The WalesGenWeb Project has worked hard at establishing a strong collaborative relationship with GENUKI and will not permit an individual country/county host jeopardize that relationship. The WalesGenWeb and the County hosts will maintain a prominent link to the corresponding GENUKI website.
- The WalesGenWeb Project endeavors to maintain that all materials collected through associated project websites will not be distributed commercially. Country coordinators and project volunteers work on the honor system and we "assume" that materials placed online are free from any copyright infringement and that they will not be sold or republished in any form.
- Individual's who submit data to any website are free to include the word "private" in place of any records or dates. This does dilute the value of the record submitted but we wholeheartedly support the privacy rights of the individual.
- Each country and county website within the WalesGenWeb Project will maintain a method for posting queries. Links to existing query resources are permitted. The county coordinator does not have to maintain or administrate a query message board or page if they do not wish to do so.
- WalesGenWeb.com Domain - The WalesGenWeb Project domain name, walesgenweb.com is registered to Nathan Zipfel, in care of the BritishIslesGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Projects. Use of the domain name is hereby granted to the WalesGenWeb Project so long as the domain name is used in conjunction with the WorldGenWeb Project.
These policies are an adaptation of the policies of the BritishIslesGenWeb Project located at http://www.britishislesgenweb.org/policy.html and the polices of the WorldGenWeb Project located at http://www.worldgenweb.org/policy.html. Each coordinator is responsible for reviewing these websites to ensure they are in compliance. These Guidelines and Policies were last updated on July 13, 2007 (added item 4). Previous version is available here.
Disclaimer: The WalesGenWeb Project does not guarantee the authenticity or source of any collected material place online at project websites and is to be held free and indomitable from any and all liabilities based on such materials. The BritishIslesGenWeb will remove any materials found to be in violation of all U.S. Copy Right Laws and statutes.